Thank you for participating in the 2017 10 Pound Throwdown! We commend you on taking steps towards better health. While this year's Throwdown
has ended, your journey has just begun. Losing weight - or maintaining weight loss - can be challenging. See below for helpful tips that you can
use throughout the year.
The National Weight Control Registry tracks over 10,000 individuals who have lost significant
amounts of weight and kept it off for long periods of time. These individuals practice common behaviors (listed below). Consider fitting these
behaviors into your routine.
- Eating a diet lower in calories
- Enjoying breakfast every day
- Exercising an average of 1 hour every day
- Watching less than 10 hours of TV per week
Stay engaged throughout the year by adding variety to your healthy eating and physical activity regimen. Review the ideas below and identify
what interests you. Click the links to view valuable resources that you can use until next year's 10 Pound Throwdown.
Continue to... Make Healthy Food Choices
- Stick to a schedule. Carve out time to plan and shop for your meals each week.
- Seek out new recipes. Organize recipes in a binder or digitally so you can access them easily. Visit Eating Well or Cooking Light to get started.
- Involve your family and friends. Host a cooking party where you and your guests prepare a new recipe together. Organize a recipe share through your office or social group.
- Expose yourself to new fruits and vegetables. Visit a local farmers market or join a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) through an area farm. Review the "Healthy Food" section of the Helpful Links page for more details.
- Ask the experts. Schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian. Learn how to develop a healthy eating plan that is personalized to you. WellSpan Medical Weight Management offers a physician-guided weight loss program in York, Adams, and Lancaster counties.
Continue to... Be Active
- Track your progress. Set new physical activity goals using the Goal-Setting Worksheet. Strive to increase your weekly minutes of aerobic activity - or increase the weights you use for a specific muscle strengthening exercise. Post your goals where you will see them frequently.
- Incorporate "extra" activity into your everyday life. Seek out opportunities at home, work, and when on-the-go. Increase your daily steps via 100 Ways to Add 2,000 Steps.
- Be a leader in your workplace. Organize a lunchtime walking group - or set an alarm that reminds you (and your co-workers) to get up and move every hour. Try these moves from A Workout at Work?
- Participate in an exercise class or group. Meet new people - while trying something new. Review the "Physical Activity Groups" section of the Helpful Links page for more details.
- Ask the experts. Schedule an appointment with a certified fitness professional. Learn how to develop a physical activity plan that is personalized to you. Locate a certified fitness professional via your local gym or the American Council on Exercise.
We look forward to working with you in 2018. Keep up the great work!